Friday, March 1, 2013

Reaching my Goals

   Remember that extensive list of "short-term" goals I posted? Well, all this free time has really allowed me to tackle some of them. I've downloaded a language learning app on my phone, and I've taken some of the French lessons (I know how to say "Bonjour Monsieur, Comment allez vous?"), I've made a point to see local friends and write to distant ones, and I've gotten really involved with my church. In fact, I'm helping to run an open mic night tonight (shameless plug), along with doing some other things. I still haven't finished Les Miserables, which I started when I got home, but I've read some other books in the meantime. I started yoga...and stopped. Writing has come in spurts. I haven't touched any of my poems from school, but I've written some new ones, plus--what do you think I'm doing right now? I'm telling myself that I'm being productive by writing a blog. I did write a children's book to pay for all of my real writing, but I'm not motivated to sketch the illustrations. I'm not really an illustrator. It's actually a bit of a disaster, but I would like to say that I illustrated my own book, so I'm stuck. On a brighter note, things seem to be moving, albeit slowly, towards my dream of working with human trafficking victims right here in the Valley! If all goes well and God willing, it might take care of two of my goals: involvement in solution to human trafficking + get a job.
   That's about where my goal meeting has stopped. Honestly, I do feel like I've accomplished much in this time of waiting. Patience has never been a strong suit for me, so it's stretching me. I do see that I've grown a lot in the past two and a half months, but I still have bad days. All of my free time has completely underwhelmed me, which is a new feeling for me. I'm used to being so busy that I get overwhelmed and eventually have a mental and emotional break down. I think I may have over-compensated for the past ten years or so in these recent months. I have to keep on going or I'll end up having days in which I spend all day in bed. Limbo sucks sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment